Sunday, July 29, 2018

Otmoor 28/07/18

Yesterday I went to Otmoor near Oxford with my dad. We arrived at about 09:30. This was my first visit to Otmoor so I was very exited. I headed down the roman road track in search of butterflies and dragon flies. It  was incredible I saw loads. We saw Southern Hawker, Ruddy Darter and Black Darter. Then the butterflies I saw were Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Green-veined White, Purple Hairstreak, Speckled Wood, Brown Hairstreak, Painted Lady and I found a Purple Emperor which is a very rare butterfly for Otmoor. This was there third of the year and the next record before them was five years ago.




 I then headed along the greenways scanning looking for Common Crane how ever I could not find the pair. Their Chick was sadly predated after about  six weeks which is the longest the Otmoor chick has ever lasted. When walking along I had a female Marsh Harrier, male Reed Bunting, Grey Heron, Common Buzzard, Reed Warbler, Blue Tit and Great Tit. I got to the Turtle Dove feeding station and to my delight there was an adult which I accidently flushed it then it flew into the bushes. I then walk back along the roman road to get back to the car park where I saw a family flock of Long-Tailed Tits and a female Bullfinch. I really enjoyed Otmoor and would recommend a visit to any one who has never been  before.

No comments:

Post a Comment