Sunday, August 5, 2018

Fudge Duck dip at Abberton Reservoir

Today I headed to Essex to hopefully see my first ever Ferruginous Duck because one had been seen from the Bay Hide. This was my first ever visit to Abberton Reservoir and as you can tell I was unsuccessful in seeing the Ferruginous Duck however it was still a fun trip. We started of by heading to the Island hide. We saw lots of Goldfinch on the way to the hide. When we arrived in the hide there was a large group of Starling in front of the hide there was also lots of Yellow Wagtail, a few Stock Doves, Cormorants, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose and massive groups of unidentifiable wildfowl on the other side which were too far and in a heat haze which made them unidentifiable. As I was about to leave the hide a pair of Garganey flew past towards the Gwen Hide.

We then walked around to the Island Hide on the way I found a Common Whitethroat. As I walked in there was a large amount of people who thought they had it however it was just an odd Tufted Duck. There was not much in this hide but another Garganey flew around back to the Island hide. We then went around to the Gwen Hide on the way there someone pointed a Barnacle goose which would of most likely been a feral bird.

I the Gwen hide I saw all the usual bird that are on the reserve plus a year tick of an odd looking Red-Crested Pochard. This means my year list is now on 200 species. We also had Egyptian Goose and a surprise Pintail which were new for the day.

We then drove round to the causeway where the Great White Egrets are however we only saw Little Egret, Grey Heron, a Lapwing and a Lesser Black Backed Gull as well as the regulars.

No comments:

Post a Comment